Makeup Monday: My Five Favourite Primers


I've decided to start a fifteen-week series of beauty blog posts about my top five products in a range of areas, from foundations to highlighters, eyeliners to lipsticks. I'll be posting these under the title 'Makeup Monday', so obviously a new one will go up every Monday for the next fifteen weeks, which will take us through to the end of June.

Here are the areas that I will be covering over the series:

  • Primer
  • Foundation
  • Concealer
  • Powder
  • Bronzer
  • Eyebrow products
  • Eyeliner
  • Single eyeshadows
  • Eyeshadow palettes
  • Blusher
  • Highlighter
  • Mascara
  • Nude lips
  • Pink/coral lips
  • Red/berry lips
So, this week we will be starting with primers.

I know not everyone uses a primer, and I don't use mine everyday either. But if I want to do a full face of makeup and it needs to be on for longer than usual then I will use one. Sometimes you can just get away with putting a good moisturiser on before your foundation. I apply all of the following primers by hand.

Here are my top five...


5. Smashbox Pore Minimizing Photo Finish Primer (£28.00)
This is the priciest option on my list, but I just love it so I couldn't leave it out. This was the first high-end primer that I ever tried and I remember thinking it was amazing as soon as I smoothed it onto my skin. It's one of those ones that feels lovely as soon as you start to apply it. Buy it here.

4. Bourjois Happy Light Luminous Serum Primer (£10.99)
This is a lovely, light illuminating primer. Basically it does what it says on the bottle! This primer also comes in a matte version but I've not tried that one. Matte doesn't always agree with me because I have drier areas on my face. Buy it here.

3. Rimmel Lasting Finish Primer (£6.99)
This is a new discovery for me but I went for it because I have the foundation that matches it and wanted to see how they worked together. It goes on beautifully under foundation and feels nice on the skin when you apply it. Buy it here.

2. Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser Primer (£7.99)
This has been my go-to primer for so long now! It's the one I've been comfortable with for the longest amount of time and I always have a spare one in case I run out. It's a lovely gel formula that makes your skin so smooth and ready for foundation. Buy it here.

1. L'Oreal Lumi Magique Pure Light Primer (£9.99)
Here is my favourite primer which is another new find for me. It is similar to the Bourjois one listed above but there's just something about this one that I love. I can wear this under foundation and it gives a glowy look from underneath it and I have also tried wearing it alone. It makes your skin so radiant and you don't need too much of it because a little goes a long way. Buy it here.

Have you tried any of these? What is your favourite primer?

Next week: Foundations

See you on Monday!

No comments