Film-Review: High-Rise


I know I've never mentioned it on this blog before, but if you know me quite well in person you will know that I have been waiting for this film for so long. I feel like I say that about almost every film I review, but when I see a film trailer that I absolutely love I will watch it over and over again, I get that excited waiting for it. Or, as the case was with this film, I heard about it when they announced they were set to film it, and I followed the process of cast announcements, filming and appearances at film festivals, right up to this moment when it is finally released at the cinema.


Films are such a huge part of my life. They are something that I enjoy immensely and I watch one almost every day of the week, even if it's just one I've seen a number of times on in the background whilst I do some uni work, write some blog posts, get on with some wedding planning, etc. Clay, my fiance, is a massive film-lover too so it's something we enjoy doing together.

We both have Cineworld Unlimited cards, which are the best thing in the world if you love going to the cinema! We've had them for three years now and if you go to the cinema at least twice a month then you get your money's worth anyway. We normally go four times a month, but sometimes it's more (it's always more when there's a film out that I love - normally Marvel - because I watch it more than once! Actually, it's normally three or four times in some cases. Oops!) I'm not sponsored in anyway by Cineworld, I just think these cards are amazing. I highly recommend them. You also get money off the cinema's food and drinks, restaurant discounts and a percentage off of live performances such as concerts or plays.

Anyway, back to the actual review...



It's based on the novel by J.G. Ballard of the same title, and I was told if you're interested in a more-relatable, modern version of a dystopian film, then you'll like this. One person told me that if I liked Divergent and The Hunger Games that I'd like this too, but I'll start by telling you that they are nothing alike! They only thing remotely similar - and it isn't really the same - is that it is a breakdown of society into groups, but this film starts with a divide between social statuses instead of factions and districts doing different jobs.

Without giving too much away, it is about a tower block where lots of different people live, being from different social classes, occupations, family situations, etc. Everything you could possibly need is in the building, including a gym, a supermarket and a swimming pool. Basically, it all starts to go wrong and it ends up being a bit like an end-of-the-world-situation within the building, while the outside world continues to operate as normal. 



What made me want to see this film the most was the cast, because I am a huge Tom Hiddleston fan (let me know if you're watching 'The Night Manager', it's amazing!) and I also love the work of Luke Evans and Jeremy Irons.

Luke Evans definitely stole the show for me (sorry Tom!) with a stunning performance as Richard Wilder. Sienna Miller and Tom Hiddleston were also great. It was nice to see Jeremy Irons and Tom Hiddleston reunite on screen after 'The Hollow Crown' years ago. I love those two!



I would give this film:



I had a problem with this film's age certificate, as the content for me should be an 18. I'm not trying to be one of those people who think that everything should have a raised age restriction, but there was a lot that I watched and all I could think at the time was 'this isn't appropriate for a fifteen-year-old'.

However, as an adult I did like this film but it isn't one that I would rush to see again. It's one of those films that if you go in with an open mind, have some idea of what to expect and know what message it is trying to get across, then you will like it, but I can't see anyone saying 'I need to see that again now' (unless you're confused and want to go back over it!)

The cast is what upped the score from a two, which makes me sad as I really wanted to come out saying that I loved it!

I have read the novel so I knew what I was going in there to see and I had my expectations, but I could hear people talking as we left the screen saying 'I didn't get it' or 'What did I just watch?', which is kind of sad. But I understand that not everyone is going to enjoy it and not everyone is going to get the point.

I would recommend it, but not in a hurry!

Have you seen it? Let me know what you thought.


No comments