Film Review: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice


I was one of the lucky ones who got to go and see this in its first public showing at the midnight screening. I've done a couple of midnight screenings before and they're so exciting and there are certain films that I love to say I saw before everyone else. Probably not surprising to most of you, but every midnight showing I've been to has been a superhero film.

I wanted to get this review up fairly quickly so that you could get a feel as to whether I would recommend it. So, after getting home at gone three in the morning and only having had five and a half hours sleep, here is my review...




First of all, I was very excited to see Henry Cavill return in his role as Superman. I was a huge fan of Man of Steel and I've liked other work that I've seen him do since then. I also love Amy Adams as Lois Lane, I think she's perfect.

However, I rolled my eyes when I first heard that Ben Affleck had been cast as the new Batman. I've never been a big fan of any of his work. That's not to say that he's not a good actor because he is, but I didn't think he was right for Batman. Saying this, I came out of the cinema and was very happy with how his character played out. I think he's much better than Christian Bale, put it that way. I was glad that he'd managed to change my mind.

I also liked Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. He played crazy pretending to be normal very well. Jeremy Irons, who played Alfred, was also a lovely addition as I am a huge fan of him.



The storyline started back near the ending of Man of Steel and showed it from Bruce Wayne's point of view. This gave us a chance to see why the hatred between the two started in the first place. I went into the cinema on team Superman and once I've firmly chosen a side I'll stick to it. I've done the same for Captain America: Civil War when it comes out next month (team Cap).

Back to this film (sorry, off on a Marvel tangent), I enjoyed watching the fight scenes between the two of them, and I also enjoyed the final fight scene against Lex Luthor's monster, with the welcome addition of Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. I look forward to seeing her movie and the part she plays in the Justice League.



Obviously you know I'm not going to give away any spoilers, but I will say that the ending/the last fifteen-twenty minutes were not what I was expecting at all, and after going through different parts of the film that I can only describe by saying they made me panic that certain things were going to happen, only to have my heart settle down when it was solved, that ending made me lose it. I'll just admit it, I cried. A lot. I get way to invested in films, particular superhero ones, which is ridiculous because they're not real stories and it doesn't affect me in any way in the real world. But I struggled to control myself. I managed to hold most of it in until we got back to the car. Let's say it was a combination of shock, sadness and tiredness as it was 3AM!



I would give this movie:



I went in as Team Superman and I certainly still left that way, but I couldn't fault any of the actors and actresses in their roles, they were all phenomenal. The action was great and they really built up a story before getting into the fighting, which some people don't like because they just want to see the superheroes fight, but I like some background and lead-up to it.

I'm a Marvel girl through and through, and I remember reading the other day in a review of this film that 'Marvel had better watch their back'. In my opinion, they don't need too. I will always prefer Marvel, but with this film DC have certainly upped their game!



No comments