Film Review: Allegiant (The Divergent Series)


I reviewed the second film of the series, 'Insurgent', last year and have been so excited for the third. I absolutely loved the books and couldn't wait for the next installment. So I headed to the cinema on opening night this past Thursday to see it.


However, I was very disappointed when I realised that although it is a trilogy of books, they decided to follow in the footsteps of other movies and split the final film into two. I hate it when they do this, because it strings it out and normally results in the first of the two parts being just a set-up for the main storyline in the final part. It's exactly what happened with 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay (Part 1)'.

So, I went into the cinema with an open mind about what to expect, mainly because the trailer didn't really show me the kind of things I had pictured or imagined when I read the third book. However, I was still sceptical and part of me was saying 'you're not going to like this'.



It was perfect to see the film picked up exactly where the second one had left off, and the action did start pretty much straight away. It was also great to see the cast again, because I'm a huge fan of Shailene Woodley. The stars of the film were spot on the whole way through.

As you will know by now, if you've seen my other film reviews in the past, I hate to reveal any of the plot or major parts of the storyline, so I won't tell you too much. I will say though that my predictions of it just setting up the main part of the final book and that it wasn't going to be how I imagined it were right.



I enjoyed watching it and will always say that I love the film series, but this was definitely my least favourite of them so far. I still hate that they split the final book and I will never get my head around why they did it (to make more money, I guess). The fourth and final installment - now named 'Ascendant' - is due to be released in cinemas next summer.

I would rate this film:


What did you think of this film? I'd love to hear your opinions on the splitting of the book.


No comments