Film Review: How To Be Single


I'd been looking forward to seeing this film for so long, since I first saw the trailer. I am a huge fan of Rebel Wilson and that was what made me want to see it so badly. I also love Leslie Mann. Also, it might just be me that thought it but I honestly thought Dakota Johnson was Benedict Cumberbatch's wife, Sophie. If you don't know what she looks like click here and see how similar they look!

Anyway, back to the film...


I saw this film on Valentine's Day with Clay, which may sound odd at first that we went as a couple to see a film that is about being single, but we decided to go for it because it was showing advanced previews on Valentine's Day (I know the image at the top of my post says 'February 12' but the UK doesn't get this film until 19 February).

I must start by saying I was a little disappointed with the amount of screen time that Rebel had, because I expected to be seeing her a lot more than we actually do. I assumed she would be going everywhere Dakota's character did, but she wasn't. Although when she was around it was very funny.

There were some really funny moments in this movie, although quite a few of them had already been shown in the trailers. It was a typical girly film for Valentine's Day. In case you were interested in Clay's opinion, he liked it but it wasn't his kind of movie and wasn't overly fussed. It's definitely one I would like to add to my collection of more girly films when it comes out on DVD.



I would give this film:


3 of the stars are for the actual film, it would have been 4 had there been a bit more Rebel Wilson. However, this film spoke to me so much as a woman. Even though I'm engaged and getting married later this year I still loved the message this film gave out to women. It's empowering, as if it's saying everyone will find someone eventually, but don't forget to take that time when you're single to be yourself and learn to love being on your own and do the things that you want to do while you have the time. It shows girl power both through friendship - like the one between Dakota and Rebel in this film - but also standing alone as a woman who is strong and capable. So I've added an extra star purely for the impression it left on me for that message.

No comments