Film Review: Creed


I went to see 'Creed' yesterday and I must admit that I really wasn't looking forward to it. I've never been a fan of boxing and I never got into the 'Rocky' films, but Clay is a huge fan of them. He owns quite a few Rocky-related t-shirts and they are films that he never gets bored of.

I was interested to see what they would do with 'Creed' though. I knew the story and where it would have all originated from, so I hoped I would be able to follow it without seeing all of the 'Rocky' films.

I also wanted to see it because when Clay and I went to New York back in 2013, we took a trip out to Philadelphia. We went out there solely because Clay wanted to see the steps from the 'Rocky' film, and the statue as well. It was amazing to stand where he stood and see the sights of a classic set of films, even if I wasn't a massive fan. Some pictures from our trip are below:


The famous steps (Clay ran up them, I walked!)


Me at the top, overlooking the view that Rocky had.


Stallone's footprints at the top of the steps.


Me at the Rocky statue, next to the steps.

-

So we went along to the film, and I didn't have very high expectations for it. The only thing I had confidence in was Stallone because he had already won a Golden Globe for his role.


However, I enjoyed this film immensely! I was hooked on the story right from the start and even thought I'm not a fan of boxing, because I think it's too violent, I was so invested in the fights.

Again, I won't give too much of this film's storyline away, but what you do need to know is that Rocky's old boxing opponent-turned-friend, Apollo Creed, died in the ring in a past fight and never got to meet his son. Cue Michael B Jordan stepping in as Creed's son, who wants to become a top boxer and seeks out Rocky to help train him.


All of the actors in this movie were amazing, especially Stallone who did a fantastic job of reprising his role. I can see why he's already won a Globe.

I would give this film:


I loved this film, and I'm even more happy to say that because I expected to hate it and be bored for two hours. I surprised myself, and I definitely surprised Clay. When I turned round and said 'I loved that', Clay's jaw literally dropped. He was sure I'd dislike it too.

Let me know what you think of it if you get the chance to see it!


No comments