My Recipe Box: Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes


I have been wanting to make these cupcakes for so long now, but I finally got around to it this past weekend! I was so happy with how they turned out as it was my first time making them. I first fell in love with pumpkin cupcakes when I tried one at Primrose Bakery, in Covent Garden, and I have been hooked on them ever since. If you're ever in London during autumn then try to pop in to Primrose Bakery and try one.

Anyway, back to my recipe. Just to let you know - because I have been asked a lot about this - the pumpkin I bought is Libby's pumpkin puree, and I have only been able to pick this up either in selected Tesco stores or Waitrose. (UPDATE: I now by the Baking Buddy pumpkin from Sainsbury's) You can also buy it online but it is more expensive that way due to the postage. Now that I've cleared that up, let's get on with the recipe.


Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes (makes approx. 24 cupcakes)

You will need:

For the cakes:
  • 280g plain flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 5 tbsp soft brown sugar
  • 110g butter, at room temperature
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 medium eggs, room temperature
  • 180ml milk
  • 250g pumpkin puree

For the frosting:
  • 180g cream cheese
  • 50g butter, room temperature
  • 300g icing sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • Sprinkle of nutmeg

1. Preheat the oven to 180c.

2. Sieve together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves into a large mixing bowl, before adding the sugar.



3. In a separate bowl, cream the butter before mixing in the sugar and then mix in the dry ingredients.

4. Add the milk, eggs and pumpkin puree and combine.


5. Spoon the mixture into your cupcake tins lined with cases and pop in the oven for around 20 minutes, until slightly golden brown on the top. You need to look carefully for the browning on top as the mixture is a light brown anyway.


6. Leave the cupcakes to cool and start making the cream cheese frosting. In a clean bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth.

7. Slowly add the icing sugar and combine.

8. Then add the nutmeg and vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.


9. Using a dessert spoon, take a spoonful of the frosting and place it in the middle of the cupcake. Then use the spoon the evenly spread it over the cake.


And there you have it: pumpkin spice cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting!


If you try this recipe out let me know what you think of them!


No comments