Film Review: Crimson Peak


I have been waiting for this film for over a year, ever since I saw pictures of the cast on set! I wrote a post back in May saying how excited I was for 'Crimson Peak'.

I'm not in any way a fan of horror movies, but I put my trust in Guillermo del Toro, and members of the cast, as they described the film not as a horror/ghost movie, but a gothic romance with some ghosts in it.

I was excited up to the point when I finally booked the tickets on Tuesday, and then I started to panic. I couldn't believe I was about to view something that had been described as gory, scary, extremely violent and jumpy by many.

Even right down to sitting in my seat in the cinema I was terrified and was thinking about leaving! 



There hadn't been too much announced about the storyline of the whole film, apart from a young woman being swept off of her feet by a mysterious handsome man, who has a creepy sister.

Here is the trailer if you haven't seen it yet:



Obviously now I've seen it I know the whole plot, and it is a good, twisted story. I had my suspicions as the film went on, but what we were presented with could never have been expected without delving deeper into the story of the characters.

I was completely sucked into this plot as I continuously tried to work it out and predict what could happen. All I'll say about the storyline now, without spoiling it, is that it is dark, in true gothic style, and you will leave the cinema hating a particular character more than any other!
 
 
The cast was what originally excited me the most about this film, because I am a huge Tom Hiddleston fan and Jessica Chastain and Mia Wasikowska are just brilliant. I haven't seen much of Charlie Hunnam's work but I loved him in this movie.

They all gave outstanding performances. Sometimes during films I only focus on a couple of characters on screen because they are the ones I am interested in seeing, but with this I was constantly flitting back and forth because I didn't want to miss a moment of anyone's screen time.

Again, I won't say too much about it but Tom Hiddleston's role as Thomas Sharpe was definitely my favourite, but not just because he's my favourite actor, but because his character was so complex and you couldn't decide at times whether you liked him or not.

Jessica Chastain played Thomas Sharpe's sister, Lucille, Mia Wasikowska was the young Edith, who falls for Thomas, and Charlie Hunnam is Alan, a doctor, who also likes Edith.

The more I think about the characters, who played them, and their part in the movie, it makes me love the plot even more!


The set was truly stunning. The English mansion, Allerdale Hall, where the Sharpe's are from, was built from scratch and was so detailed from the inside-out. There was so much to look at and, like del Toro said, the house is just like a character
 

The costumes were also beautiful. My favourites were definitely Edith's, especially the creamy-peach satin dress that she wears to the party and the outfit that she is wearing when she arrives at Allerdale Hall.
 
 
The ghosts were marvellous creations in this movie, with such amazing visual effects. I thought the ghosts would be the scary, jumpy part of the film but I was so happy to see that although it was creepy when they were on screen and I was sitting there waiting for something very jumpy to happen, it never really did. They were more haunting than terrifying.

What was terrifying though, was the violence.

 
The gore and violence in this film was the most extreme I have ever seen. I haven't see very many films that have this feature because I'm not a fan of seeing anything very bloody. There were so many times that I wanted to turn away but for some strange reason I couldn't! I can still picture the wounds now, and I think 'Why did I watch that? Why didn't I turn away or close my eyes?'

After sitting through a rather brutal stabbing in 'Legend', which was an 18, I found it hard to believe that the UK chose to take the certification of this movie down to a 15, even when it is the equivalent of an 18 everywhere else.

I don't want to give to much away, as I never do, but I would give you a warning about this aspect of the film. There is a horrifying scene with someone's face severely beaten and a rather nasty scene with another wound to the face. One nearer the beginning and one nearer the end. I won't say who, or who by, but just be warned! Maybe you've seen worse, but I certainly haven't!


Overall, this film was spectacular. I loved the story, even with the stomach-churning twist and the severely violent scenes. The cast, the set, and the costumes were amazing and it had me hooked throughout, even with all of the blood!
 

I would give this movie:


 
I would loved to have given it five stars, and I really would have done, had the rating of this film been appropriately awarded. This is NOT a 15 movie. If 'Legend' has to be an 18 for the violence then this definitely should be an 18! As a 15 you would not expect this level of graphic, gory violence.
 
Saying that, if you are 18, I would highly recommend it! Even if you're not a horror film/ghost movie fan, you needn't worry, it is pure brilliance in the world of film-making!
 
 
Have you been to see 'Crimson Peak' yet? Will you be going? Let me know what you think of it in the comments below, on Twitter, or Instagram. I love hearing other people's views and ratings!
 

No comments