Autumn Love: DIY Fall Wreath

 
So here is my first autumn decoration of the season: my very own DIY wreath.

I kept seeing lovely wreaths online - mainly on Pinterest - and really wanted one! I found a couple of beautiful ones to buy, but they were almost £30 each and I just couldn't part with that for something that was going outside and depending on the weather here may or may not survive the few months that I would have it on display.

So Clay suggested that I have a go at making my own, and the very next day I headed over to my local Hobbycraft after work and bought everything I needed for less than £15!

So here were the items I picked up:

 
This basic natural rattan wreath, which comes in a few different sizes, but mine is 30.5cm. This was only £3.

 
These artificial autumn maple leaves were just what I wanted. I picked up two stems at £1.49 each.

 
I picked up three flowers all in very autumnal colours. The orange silk gerbera was only 99p, the red ranunculus was £2.49, and the artificial sunflower - my favourite - was also only 99p.

 
I picked up two pieces of ribbon but I couldn't find the exact ones I used online, so here are the closest ones to those above (they're pretty much the same price anyway but you can pick up different ribbon). I picked up 1.5m of the orange ribbon and 2m of the jute/hessian ribbon. I didn't use all of the jute ribbon so I probably could have managed with only 1.5m but it depends how big you want your bow to be.

 
I cut the stems off of the flowers and discarded them, but I kept the leaves.

 
This is where it gets personal. You can arrange the wreath however you want to. I wanted some of the rattan wreath on show so I kept my flowers and leaves clustered together. I had to hot glue gun the flowers on as they didn't have enough stem on them to stay in, and it would be more secure.

 
I was really happy with the bow on mine but it did have to be glued on as well with the hot glue gun.

 
I was so happy with how the whole wreath looked at the end and it went straight up on my door!

Will you be making a wreath this year, either for fall or for Christmas, or do you buy one? Let me know if you try making a wreath and send me pictures or your reviews of how you found it.

 

No comments