I'm Listening to: Josh Groban

 
I am a huge Josh Groban fan! I've got all of his albums and got to see him in concert at The O2, London, for my 21st birthday.

 
 
I have also always loved musicals. I love walking down the street through the centre of the West End, and when I went to New York there was nothing like walking down Broadway with a slice of cake from Magnolia Bakery.
 
So when I heard that Josh Groban was releasing an album full of songs from musicals I was so excited! 'Stages' is full of songs from my favourite shows, such as Les Mis, Phantom of the Opera, Into the Woods, and Chess.
 
Here is the track listing:
1. Pure Imagination - I'm not a massive fan of this 'Charlie and the Chocolate factory' number but Josh's version is beautiful.
2. What I Did For Love - This is my second favourite track on the album, it is just stunning.
3. Bring Him Home - 'Les Mis' is my favourite musical and this song is so iconic, and although I love this it's hard to beat Alfie Boe's version.
4. Le Temps Des Cathedrals - This is the only non-English track on the album and it is beautiful and I could just listen to it over and over.
5. All I Ask Of You (with Kelly Clarkson) - A stunning duet that made me want to see 'The Phantom of the Opera' again.
6. Try To Remember - I hadn't heard this song before but it's now one of my favourites.
7. Over The Rainbow - This is another song that I'm not a huge fan as it's overdone, but Josh still does it really well.
8. Children Will Listen/Not While I'm Around - This is fantastic, whoever thought to combine an 'Into the Woods' song with a 'Sweeney Todd' track is a genius.
9. You'll Never Walk Alone - I can't stand this song, and to me it's just a football song for Liverpool FC, so unfortunately this is one I skip past.
10. Old Devil Moon - I was so excited to hear this one and I wasn't disappointed, it's stunning.
11. Finishing The Hat - Now this song has that real Broadway vibe about it and is another song I listen to on repeat.
12. If I Loved You (with Audra McDonald) - This track from 'Carousel' is one of my favourites and this version with Audra is the best I've ever heard.
13. Anthem - This is my favourite song on the whole album, and one of the best songs ever written.
14. Gold Can Turn To Sand - This was another one that I hadn't heard before but it tells a brilliant story through the lyrics.
15. Empty Chairs At Empty Tables - Again, from my favourite musical 'Les Mis' this song gives me goosebumps.

There is also an album available at Target in the US with a couple of bonus tracks that I am yet to hear.

But I would recommend this CD to anyone who is a lover of musicals because Josh's beautiful voice makes the songs even better.

 
Have you heard the album yet? What do you think of it? Do you have a favourite track?
 


No comments