Happy International Women's Day

 

This post today is to celebrate all women around the world!

I have been closely following actress Emma Watson, who is the UN Women Goodwill ambassador, in her campaign for #HeForShe (you can find her amazing speech here). Emma has spoken out about gender inequality and about how change needs to happen.

You can read more about Emma's work here and you can watch the videos from her #HeForShe conversations here.


This hashtag is being used by a large number of male celebrities to show their support for the cause, such as actors Simon Pegg and Tom Hiddleston.


Another campaign I have supported and shared with those around me is Always #LikeAGirl. If you have seen their incredibly inspiring video already, you must watch it here, and check out their website here.



So I thought I'd share with you a few (hopefully) familiar faces that have inspired me. There are so many, but here are just a few of mine:

 
She may be a fictional character but Belle from Disney's Beauty and the Beast is someone that I have always looked up to. She is probably one of the best Disney role model 'princesses' out there, along with Merida from Brave, who is another favourite of mine. Belle loves to read, making her character knowledgeable. She always has a kind heart, as she protects her father and learns to love the beast.
 
 
Carrie Underwood is one of my favourite female artists right now. I just can't get enough of her music (although I think my family wish I would play something else for a while as it's been on repeat so often!) She came from the small town of Checotah and made a name for herself doing what she loves.
 
 
I have already mentioned Emma Watson, but I feel the need to praise her again. The #HeForShe campaign was genius and I could listen to her UN speech over and over. She is a credit to women everywhere. I was most impressed when she enrolled at Brown University, after missing out on a lot of real schooling when she started acting so young, this shows just how incredible this woman is. 

 
She may be a comic book character but Black Widow in the Avengers Assemble and Captain America: The Winter Soldier films was one of the best parts for me. She is the only female member of the Avengers team and she can definitely hold her own. She even managed to crack Loki a little and learn his real plans just by talking to him. Ah, the power of conversation. Plus, Scarlett Johansson did a fab job of portraying her in the movies. 

 
Taylor Swift was the first woman who came to mind (after Emma Watson) because I have been a fan of her for as long as I can remember! I can still picture it, the day that I sat with my friend Georgia at college in media studies class when she introduced me to Taylor's music back in 2008... I've been hooked ever since. Taylor has done so well for herself, with a large number of albums under her belt, plus a truck-load of awards, including Grammy Awards!  

 
Katniss Everdeen may also be a fictional character, but doesn't Jennifer Lawrence do a fantastic job of playing her?! She has so much strength, protecting her sister and practically sacrificing herself to the Hunger Games, but she shows us just how strong a girl can truly be. 

 
Now, this lady is the true meaning of a strong woman! Katie Piper was the victim of a horrendous acid attack back in 2008, which left her covered in burns, particularly to her face. The aspiring model and television personality was left with irreversible injuries, but went through gruelling reconstructions and surgeries and came out a stronger person! She is a real role model to all girls out there, it's almost impossible to describe how much admiration I have for her. 

 
Kayla Itsines is a big deal in Australia and I am so glad she is being recognised here in the UK. Her bikini body plan is really popular (I am yet to try it out, although I have done the free week of workouts she offers on her site and they were very difficult but you could feel it working so many muscles) She is fit, healthy, and inspirational to a lot of women who want to get in shape.

 
These ladies are Katrina (left) and Karena (right), and they run Tone It Up, a fitness website and programme that I have followed since the July 2013. Their workouts are perfect for me as they are quite short and allow you to build yourself up. It also got me wanting to work out, giving me all the motivation I needed.

So there we have it, some of my inspirations. But I must add, it is always important to inspire yourself! Look in the mirror everyday and see a positive, happy, strong, beautiful woman - because that is exactly what you are!

 
 
 

 
Who inspires you? Leave a comment below, or use the hashtag #InspiredBy on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to share yours.
 
 

2 comments