GUEST POST: Summer Reading Recommendation by Emily (Definitely Em)


It's time for another brilliant guest post! Today I have Emily sharing her summertime reading recommendation.

Emily has become a great online friend of mine over the past year. We first spoke on Twitter last May when I mentioned that I wanted to do my first 24 hour readathon and Emily replied to say she would love to do a readathon too, suggesting that we both vlog it. Since then we speak on a regular basis through Twitter and Snapchat. I even had a dream the other week that we were meeting for the first time at a train station (which looked exactly like the Hogwarts platform in Harry Potter), I gave Emily a Krispy Kreme doughnut and she gave me a slice of pineapple pizza... which made me cry with happiness. It was a weird dream that made me wake up craving pizza and doughnuts but it made me smile!

Anyway, carry on reading to see which book Emily wants to recommend to you this summer...



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -



Hey, I’m Emily Davina, aka, Definitely Em.

When Janay asked me if I would like to write a guest post on her blog to recommend some summer reading material, I was BEYOND excited for several reasons:

1. I always love working alongside Janay within the BookTube community and felt so blessed that she would want me to feature on her blog - I’m low-key fan-girling to be honest, because I absolutely love Janay’s blog and her BookTube!

2. I am always looking for the opportunity to recommend people books, and this gives me the chance to get geeky and tell you all about my favourite reads, hehe!

And finally…

3. The book I am about to recommend may change your life.


On December 31st, 2017, I decided to do something that millions of people do on this date: I made a resolution. I had decided, that during the year of 2018, I would embark on a journey of self-love. This didn’t necessarily mean heading to the gym, eating healthy food, taking up yoga, I took it as something else, something much more important…

The creating of a better life. 

And so, I picked up a little book called, A New Earth: Create a Better Life, by Eckhart Tolle. 


Now, I could sit here and recommend all the wonderful fiction books I have read over past summers. Books about heartbreak, summer romances, adventures - but not today. Today, I bring you one of the most warming books that I have ever read. This book is one of those books that I am going to say, you must read this at some point in your life…yes, it is just that good. 

A New Earth, I believe, was a pinnacle book in it’s time. First published in 2005, this book captured the world’s hearts…even Oprah!? The book discussed how we can all ‘create a better life’ - and the way how is most simple: 

You lose your ego.

Tolle focuses on how everybody’s egos are trying to take to the surface of our existence, but it isn’t real, and it is not who we truly are. What we truly are is our Being, and our Being is the most beautiful and true thing that there is, and ever will be.

I found this book such an enlightening read, and realised that it was helping me closer to the New Year’s resolution that I had made: self-love. By accepting that my Being is who I truly am, and not my ego, I etched a little close to understanding and loving my true self. 

This book played a huge role in creating a major turning point in my life. From reading A New Earth, I have gone onto reading books like: The Mastery of Love, Awakening the Buddhist Heart, and The Things You Can Only See When You Slow Down. This book couldn’t have come into my life at a more suited time. Especially over the summer, I feel this book will be a wonderful read for all kinds of readers, as it will help gain, perhaps, a new perspective on the way we are as human beings. They say that New Year’s is the time to make a change and make a resolution, but as humans, we have the awesome gift of being able to make a change, anytime. 

So, if you read this book over your summer, it may just change your life. And yes, it’s perfectly fine to make a start on creating a better life, even if it is the 8th month of the year. 

If everyone took the time to read this book, maybe… we would create A New Earth?


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I want to say a massive thank you to Emily for sharing her book recommendation on my blog. I have now added Emily's suggestion to my TBR list. It sounds like a great read and I haven't read a book like this in a long time. Don't forget to check out Emily's blog here.


Emily is also taking part in the 24 hour readathon for Rays of Sunshine. You can find out more information here and make a donation here



No comments