Summer Reading Challenge + 24 Hour Readathon


I'm so happy to finally announce something that I have been working on for quite a while now!

I am especially excited to be collaborating with some amazing book bloggers, BookTubers and other book-loving friends on this challenge.

So, read on to find out about the Summer Reading Challenge and readathon...

There are three parts to the Summer Reading Challenge: 

  • 6 weeks, 6 books. The challenge is to read a book a week. Unlike a book club, there is no set list of books to read. It's just to get people talking about books they're reading during the summertime. I also have some amazing book bloggers, BookTubers and book-loving friends who are sharing their summer recommendations. Look out for those being posted during the challenge.
  • I've partnered up with my local library service to promote the use of libraries. As part of this challenge I am encouraging people to choose books from their local library for these six weeks (but they don't have to be library books).
  • There will be a 24 hour readathon in August to raise money for Rays of Sunshine. This charity grant the wishes of children who are living with serious or life-limiting illnesses.


The reading challenge starts on Saturday 21st July and runs for six weeks. The schedule is as follows:
  • Week 1: 21-27 July
  • Week 2: 28 July - 3 August
  • Week 3: 4-10 August
  • Week 4: 11-17 August
  • Week 5: 18-24 August
  • Week 6: 25-31 August



Again, there are three parts to get involved with:
  • Share what you're reading: Whether it's a blog post, a tweet, a YouTube video, an Instagram photo, whatever you like... Share the book you're reading each week as part of the challenge. There will be a hashtag to use as well but we're still working on that (suggestions welcome) but you can find me on Twitter and Instagram for updates.
  • Promote or use your local library: There are going to be blog posts about libraries during this summer reading challenge, so I'd love to hear about people using their local library or just sharing the love for these amazing houses of books. Again, you can share this through Twitter, Instagram, blog posts, however you like.
  • 24 hour readathon: This is the part that I would really love your support with. I want us to raise as much money as possible, as a team, and to get lots of us taking part. Yet again, you can show yourself taking part in this readathon could be shown through a blog post, YouTube video, Instagram stories... Use the hashtag #ROSreadathon to share it!


The 24 hour readathon for Rays of Sunshine is the part that I am most passionate about. I completed a 24 hour readathon last summer to raise funds for Solving Kid's Cancer and I wanted to do something similar again. 

The 24 hour readathon for Rays of Sunshine will be taking place on Saturday 18th August 2018.

If this date doesn't work for you please feel free to do it on a day that suits you, as I know some people can't do these things at the weekend, so fit it in with whatever works for you and continue to share the readathon Just Giving page.


I chose Rays of Sunshine because they help to put the biggest smiles on the faces of severely poorly children. I have seen the wish-granting in action and I can honestly say it is one of the most incredible things I've ever witnessed.

I want this to be a group fundraiser that we can really spread the word on, so the more the merrier.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any other questions about the Summer Reading Challenge or the readathon, let me know.

I hope to have all of you taking part!


No comments