Film Review: Swallows and Amazons


I didn't even know they were making this into a film until I saw a trailer for it when I was in the cinema last month and I was literally bouncing about in my chair and feeling pure admiration for the person who chose to make this into a movie. I loved the book, and I actually read it again earlier in the year for my Children's Literature module with the Open University, so it was a lovely surprise to see this was coming out. Typically, I went to see it on opening night because I couldn't wait.

So, here is my review of this pirate-filled children's classic, set in the Lake District...



First, I have to mention the cast. These children - John, Susan, Tatty and Roger Walker and Nancy and Peggy Blackett - were phenomenal. My favourite was Tatty, played by Teddie-Rose Malleson-Allen, which was great because she was my favourite character in the book. Roger, played by Bobby McCulloch, was also brilliant. It was the first film for most of the children in this, which is lovely and I hope we see more of them in the future.

I also loved seeing Andrew Scott in this film, as I'm a huge fan of him in Sherlock. Rafe Spall was also great.

Most of the main parts that I enjoyed in the book were included, and so much of it was exactly as I had imagined it when I read the book. But there were a few parts that I missed or where shorter than in the novel. However, it was still brilliant without these parts as the main events were all included and beautifully done.


I would give this film:


I adored this film. I'm obviously gutted that when films are made from such amazing books that some lovely parts get missed out because you can't include it all, but what was included was just how I had imagined it. This film won't be for everyone but if you want to see a classic children's tale come to life on the big screen and remember what it was like to be an adventurous, imaginative child then you'll enjoy this.

I can already tell that this is going to be one of those films that I'll watch on a rainy day or on a Sunday when we stay in.




No comments