GUEST POST: Summer Reading Recommendation by Amy (Golden Books Girl)


It's time for my first guest post as part of my Summer Reading Challenge.

Today, the lovely Amy is sharing the book she wants to recommend to you this summer...


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -



When I was asked to do this post, my mind was turning with possibilities. I could talk about a series I adore with all my heart, in which a girl becomes a model, realises she doesn't need to stop being a geek and that people who don't know that don't deserve her, and falls in love (anyone who's read my blog before will likely know exactly which series I'm referencing, given I rarely shut up about it). I could talk about one of the books I devoured last summer, or other romances I've really enjoyed that are such pleasant yet page-turning reads that would be perfect to chill with on a sun lounger.

Then I picked up Open Road Summer a day or two after, and my mind was made up. 


I've read and loved some Emery Lord before, and I kind of expected to love this too, but was also apprehensive in case it let me down. It didn't.

Emery Lord's writing is ridiculously beautiful, and yet her character's voice still comes through. Reagan is spiky and guarded and complicated, but I loved her, and so wanted her to succeed in her aims. Matt is one of my favourite romantic leads in a while (to be completely honest, I'm more than a little in love with him myself; he's practically perfect), and the romance between him and Reagan was so lovely to read about, and there was such clear chemistry between them from the moment they met. The music references throughout, and the fact this takes place on a music tour, was just icing on the cake. The friendship between Reagan and her country music superstar best friend Lilah was so supportive and wonderful too.

This is the sort of book you want to savour, but also the sort of book you just don't want to put down because somehow, even though the characters aren't necessarily having the best time of it sometimes, they feel so comforting.

And having worked out why I picked up Open Road Summer - to be welcomed into a world I could escape to for a while - I'll be saving the last remaining Emery Lord book I have to read (When We Collided) for the next time I need that, rather than diving in headfirst immediately after finishing Open Road Summer, like I did with The Start of Me and You last year and so desperately wanted to repeat with this.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A big thank you to Amy for sharing her summertime recommendation!


I have read Open Road Summer and I agree with everything Amy has said. It really is a brilliant story and I highly recommend it too. You can read my review here.


Please make sure you check out Amy's amazing blog, Golden Books Girl.


No comments